× Welcome to the late payment of commercial debts (interest) act. Forum!

Post questions here regarding the use of the Late Payment Legislation

Strange situation query

More
11 years 4 months ago #870 by abacuspcservices
Hi

I am a self employed sole trader who has just supplied PC support to a client. The work was carried out on the 12th November, and an invoice was emailed to him on the 13th, quoting my 30 day terms and mentioning the legislation.

I emailed him a 30 day reminder on the 12th December, to which he replied that he wrote the cheque 2 weeks ago, but had forgotten to send it. The cheque then arrived in the post on the 17th December.

I know that in theory, that the payment is late, however, the complication is as follows:-

He works for a farming business (which was the address at which I carried out the work, and was a 160 mile round trip, for which the majority of the invoice was a mileage charge). My visit had to be approved by the farm owner. The client wanted the work to be invoiced to him personally , rather than through the farming business, at a different address. Now that the original invoice has been paid, I can see tat the cheque is from a personal account.

My question is, therefore is this a business to personal transaction (and therefore not covered by the legislation), or, can it be deemed a business to business transaction as the work was actually carried out for a business.

Do you have any views or comments on this situation?

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #873 by Safe_UK
Replied by Safe_UK on topic Re: Strange situation query
Hi Dave,

It looks to us like you have answered your own question:

The client wanted the work to be invoiced to him personally , rather than through the farming business, at a different address.

On that basis we would say this is a Business to Consumer transaction and thus outside of the legislation.

If you had invoiced the farm directly or "Mr A Farmer T/A A Nice Farm" then it would be a different matter.

Hope that helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds